What Is the Nasdtec Interstate Agreement

This article on the intergovernmental covenant is a scion; We plan to grow it in the future. If you want to help it grow, please consider making a donation to Ballotpedia. Massachusetts participates with each state and the District of Columbia through the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC) Interstate Agreement to accept the applicants` state-approved educator preparation program or possession of at least one initial license/certificate and three years of employment under such license/certificate valid within the last seven years. Please note that the intergovernmental agreement does not exempt candidates from the degree, test and/or prerequisite requirements applicable to the applied for license. Although there are intergovernmental reciprocal agreements for teaching licenses, these agreements can create confusion among those who attempt to transfer their teaching license or certificate from one State to another. Simply put, while states may have agreements with other states that education or testing requirements between the two are equivalent, a state can (and often does) impose its own specific requirements on the state under the intergovernmental reciprocity agreement. Massachusetts does not include the following licenses in the NASDTEC agreement. School psychologist, school nurse or teacher`s license for speech, language and hearing disorders. Teachers applying for admission through “reciprocity/intergovernmental agreement” may consider applying for the temporary or provisional licence if they do not already have SEI confirmation. Answer: The NASDTEC Interstate Agreement is a set of agreements between different states that recognize which elements of one state`s teacher licensing process correspond to those of another. For example, many states evaluate any teacher tests you have taken for another state`s licensing process and may exempt you from additional tests if those tests are equivalent to the requirements of the new state. It is important to understand that intergovernmental agreements are not “direct transfer agreements”. You must apply for a teaching license from your new state and have your credentials assessed.

If it is determined that your credentials meet the typical requirements of the new state, a new license will be issued to you. If this is not the case, you will be informed of the additional requirements. The reciprocity of teaching certificates is complex and many states have specific requirements that must be met in order to acquire a comprehensive teaching qualification. We have outlined the basic requirements for reciprocity of teaching license in each state to help you determine the qualifications required. For more information on intergovernmental reciprocity, please contact the licensing authority of the state in which you wish to teach. Reciprocity of teacher certification is a somewhat misleading term, as it is often interpreted to mean that a teaching permit issued in one state is unconditionally recognized by another state. While most states provide guidelines on reciprocity, intergovernmental reciprocity is not automatic. Teachers must apply for a new license if they want to teach in a state where they are not currently accredited, and the teacher licensing agency of a particular state usually reviews applications for reciprocity of teaching certificates on a case-by-case basis. In practice, the reciprocity of the teaching license describes the qualifications that each State accepts from another State and those that do not. The good news for educators is that while the process can be complicated, states that have reciprocal agreements for teaching certifications typically give educators who move from one state to another extra time to meet the requirements of the new state while teaching with a temporary or temporary license. Answer: “Reciprocity” is a somewhat inappropriate term when it comes to certifying teachers.

In all 50 U.S. states and Washington, D.C., you must obtain a teaching license from the state in which you want to work before you can teach in a public school. This means that you cannot transfer your teaching license directly from one state to another. However, most states have what would be more precisely called “reciprocity of teacher qualifications”. This means that most states consider the teacher tests, experience, and college degree you earned in another state as the basis for issuing a new teaching license. Answer: If you don`t meet the teacher`s reciprocity requirements, there are usually options. Some states will issue you a temporary or temporary license valid for one year (or perhaps longer) while you discover defects. This type of license is usually issued when you miss a country-specific requirement, such as. B as a state constitutional test or courses related to the local population. If you do not have testing requirements, you may be able to take the required tests in your current state at an approved testing center or set a date to travel to the new state to complete the required tests. The education committee where you applied for a new license will give you accurate information about what you are missing and how to proceed based on your current qualifications. The most well-known reciprocity agreement between states is the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Training and Certification (NASDTEC).

The NASDTEC interstate agreement facilitates the process of reciprocal teacher certification by allowing compact agencies to verify a teacher`s licensing status in other states. This means that certified teachers do not always have to provide additional proof of certification. NASDTEC agreements between states also include guidelines on the types of certifications that one state accepts from another. .